Effective complaining: who do you complain to?

7 min read
October 08, 2020

Resolver Customer Support Agent Kester Davies explains your options and routes of complaint

It’s been a strange year. Coronavirus has changed the way that we shop, work and  socialise. There have also been changes to how we complain, with unprecedented turbulence and big changes hitting just about every kind of company, from airlines and travel agents to supermarkets and online shops.

As ever, Resolver is here to help you get your voice heard, but with the recent confusion, it’s sometimes been difficult to know who you should actually be complaining to. We’ve published a lot of resources on this throughout lockdown and I’ve put together this handy guide – to our guides. 

End of your tether? 

The start of lockdown brought big changes for companies, and this made some companies very hard to reach. 

If getting that refund feels like getting blood from a stone, it might be time to try the nuclear option – claiming through your bank or credit provider. 

This should be a last resort, and isn’t necessarily a quick or easy process, so make sure you have exhausted all of the usual routes. 

If you paid using a debit card, then your bank can try a chargeback. You will need to provide evidence that the company has not kept up their side of the bargain, and the bank will contact the company and try to reclaim your funds. 

If you paid on credit card and the total value of the goods or services purchased was more than £100 and less than £30,000, then you may be able to make a Section 75 claim. This is where your credit card provider refunds you the full value of the goods or services and then pursues the provider  to recover their funds. Once again, you will need to provide evidence of how the company has not stuck to the agreement made (such as the cancellation of a flight). 

Section 75 is quite an old piece of legislation, so there are situations where it cannot be used, for example if you bought the goods through a price comparison site or third party online marketplace. You can find more details about Section 75 here.

This article contains a handy tool for determining where you should send your claim where all else fails

Other resources

Once you know who to complain to,  head over to resolver.co.uk to get things moving 

Share this:


Need to resolve an issue? Let's get this sorted.

No Comments