Are you married? Don’t miss out on your Marriage Tax rebate 

2 min read
October 03, 2023

You may never have heard of the Marriage Tax rebate. But if you’re married or in a civil partnership, it’s time to get excited about the possibility of some much-needed financial relief. 

We can guide you through the law and how you can claim a rebate from HMRC. We’ll also point you in the direction of someone who can help you claim even more quickly and easily. 

See if you are eligible for a claim by using our HMRC-approved partner

What is the Marriage Tax Allowance?

The Marriage Tax Allowance is a handy deal for married couples or civil partners. It lets you share some tax benefits, saving up to £252 a year.

You may already know about the Personal Allowance or Personal Savings Allowance – a kind of buffer for your earnings before you get into the income tax zone. (If you’re in the lowest tax bracket your Personal Allowance is up to £12,570 and your Personal Savings Allowance is up to £1,000.)

The Marriage Tax Allowance is similar. To qualify for it, you need to be married or in a civil partnership. Either you or your partner should earn less than your personal allowance (usually around £12,570), while the other should be bringing in between £12,571 and £50,270 (£43,662 in Scotland).

The allowance works by letting the person who earns the least transfer £1,260 of their Personal Allowance to their civil partner, wife or husband.

Get some extra help raising your rebate claim by using our HMRC-approved partner

If I’ve missed out can I claim it back?

It’s surprising how many people don’t know about the Marriage Tax Allowance. There are likely thousands of couples who have missed out. 

However, the amazing thing is that you can reclaim the allowance going back four years. 

So if you think you’ve missed out, think again – you may be able to get a refund of up to £1,220 from HMRC.

How do I make a claim? 

Getting hold of this allowance should be pretty straightforward. You can apply online via or give HMRC a call. 

To claim yourself you’ll need you and your partner’s National Insurance number and a valid form of ID. 

And if you’re already a tax-return aficionado, you can also claim through self-assessment.

An easier way to claim 

If the thought of paperwork or dealing with HMRC is putting you off making a claim, or you simply don’t have the time, there is extra help available. 

Our trusted partners are experts in tax claims and will handle the entire process of claiming a Marriage Tax rebate for you. 

They’ll check if you’re eligible, do the number-crunching for your potential refund, sort out the application, and keep the HMRC conversations going until your cash comes in. 

They charge a fee, but only once they’ve secured your refund. So if you want some extra support, follow this link to get the ball rolling on your Marriage Tax rebate.  


If you have any thoughts on this topic, or any other consumer issues you would like us to cover, feel free to get in touch with us at

Share this:


Need to resolve an issue? Let's get this sorted.

No Comments